Sunday, November 4, 2007

Aji de Gallina

Aji de Gallina is a Peruvian typical food. The first time I tried this was in a visit to the house of one of my mother’s Peruvian friends. We liked this a lot, so my mom tried to learn how to cook it. And here it is:

Ingredients:

-1 big chicken breast

-2 breads

-1 cup of milk

-1 onion

The night before soak the bread in the milk.

Boil the chicken breast until it’s done. Wait until it is cold and then remove the meat from the bones and shred it into strips, 4-5 mm wide.

Chop the onion finely and then saute it for about 5 or 10 minutes.

Put the onion, the shreded chicken and the soaked bread into a big pot, stir this and simmer for about 10 minutes, always stirring. Add salt and a seasoning called “palillo”, that will make the food look yellow. If you don’t have “palillo”, you can use curry.

The original recipe includes “aji” or chile, but despite I like chile I think it tastes better wihout this.

Rice is the perfect side dish for aji de gallina. In fact, every time my mom cooks aji de gallina she also cooks rice. It’s delicious!

No comments: